Sunday, November 23, 2014

Welcome to the Christmas Season here in Salzburg.

Welcome to the Christmas season here in Salzburg.
I officially have only a few weeks left here in this beautiful place. It's a little shocking to see how fast this experience has pasted by but I am still extraordinarily grateful for everything I've been able to do and see. 
Last we spoke, I had just returned from my 10 trip to Paris, France and now we are three weeks into our second block. (Sorry for the inconsistent posting. Life gets busy and I get to doing different things and the blog escapes my mind.)
I have just finished my third week and about to start my fourth week of this six week block and classes for the most part have been going well. I am in love with my photography class. It has been challenging, enjoyable, and just fun to be able to work with film cameras and learn the process of developing my own photos. I will say that listening to an old camera when taking a photograph is a more gratifying sound than listening to a digital camera. Plus you know that you did more than point and shoot like you can do with most digital cameras. Overall, there is larger sense of accomplishment when working with a film camera, at least for me.
Here are a few of the photos I've taken. Both with a film camera and my digital camera.


A new activity that started in this block is Austrian Cuisine and that has most certainly been money well spent. We get to cook, bake, and have a really good time with one of the host mothers who just so happens to be a retired cook. She is a lot of fun and makes the "class" really enjoyable. Plus we've had the chance to have a drink at school which is always fun.





This past Thursday, November 20th, the Christmas markets opened and this Christmas season began. I am absolutely loving going to the different markets and seeing Salzburg decorated for the holidays. They do really well with their lights and decorations. Better than home thats for sure.



Overall, I am enjoying the time I have left here. Going out with friends, eating at new restaurants, and  soaking up my surroundings. 
I encourage anyone who happens to be reading this, young or old, to travel. Travel near and far and see what the world has to offer you. More than your little corner of the world. Traveling is something that I will continue to do as frequently as I possibly can. I may not get to come back to Salzburg, or even Europe for awhile but I know that this will not be my last time here. I have caught the travel bug and there is so much more of the world I want to see and experience. You don't need tons of money to travel and see the world. Don't go with expectations or even a grand plan, just see where life takes you and enjoy the journey. I promise you that getting out of your comfort zone will bring you a joy that you have never experienced before.
In 19 short days I will have to say goodbye to a place that has been my home for semester. I will have to say goodbye (more of a see you later) to some of the best people I have ever met and I will have to say goodbye to some of the best teachers I've had in my college career. Nothing will ever compare to the experiences I've had here and I would spend another semester abroad in a heartbeat. It will certainly be a bittersweet goodbye. I have a feeling I will cry more leaving here than I did when I left at home. (Side note: I didn't cry when I left home I was too excited for the journey ahead.)

1 comment:

  1. See ya laters are always tough, but you will see these people again someday in the future. I am so glad you have had this experience...and enjoyed it as much as you have. I can't wait to see where your next adventure takes you. I love you and can't wait to give you a hug.

    (Side note: I cried enough for both of us when you left home.)

    ReplyDelete